Sunday, May 7, 2017

Using stucco to refinish the exterior of your house: part 10 another delay

In the last blog I had to take a tangent to refinish part of the cedar covered porch before stuccoing around it.   This was very successful and now I have experience with the maintenance of the woodland oil finish.

This time I made good progress but threw my back out so I had to delay the actual stuccoing of the wall with the cedar covered porch attached to it.   The injury happened when I bent over and  twisted my back and then pushed on something.  There were no big forces involved here just a awkward orientation.  In any case I have hurt my back worse before on the construction of the additions and unlike last time no one at work will suggest that I go to see a doctor after observing the pain I was in.  I expect to be stuccoing next weekend.

What I did accomplish was the finishing of the pressure washing of the side of the house that has the cedar porch on it.   Additionally, the covering up most of the things that needed to be covered (windows,  doors, eves, roof shingles and the cedar).   The covering up is very challenging here because the cedar porch is oily and tape has a hard time sticking to it.  But I am the point now, after 7 hours in very windy conditions, where I see a way to accomplish the necessary covering that needs to be done.

To accomplish the covering of the underside of the porch, I used some pipe clamps to fasten the plastic to the beams of the porch.  I hope the clamps don't leave indentations on the rafters but not to worried about since if it does it will add a little character.  Better that then having a clamp fall on my head because its loose.

Before I thought of the clamp idea I made some braces to hold sagging plastic up.  But I probably could have just used the clamps to get the job done. Below are some pictures of what I did below and above the porch.










In the picture of the cedar porch covering the ledger is not covered.  My plan is to cover that at the last minute and use the green painters tape that is advertised for hard to stick to surfaces at this link.  Not sure that this will work and I haven't actually seen the tape yet and tried it.  Alternatively I could use the red poly stucco tape which does stick to the oily surface but eventually falls off so its all about timing.  I experimented with residue free duct tape but that seemed to be worse than the poly tape.

That's all for now.


Happy Building,


The Dr.

No comments:

Post a Comment