Sunday, May 28, 2017

Using stucco to refinish the exterior of your house: part 12 Finale

In the last blog I stuccoed the back porch wall and mentioned how challenging it was to cover up the entire cedar porch. In this blog I am proud to report that I have finished the stuccoing work.

For the last wall that was stuccoed, I rented a scaffold from home depot for $128 for a week.  This is because there is a wire attached to my house on this wall and I did not want to spend the time assembling and unassembling the scaffold I had bought to access the other side of the wire.  I figured that would be too demanding in the middle of stuccoing the house.  The dueling scaffolds are shown below after pressure washing.







The finished result is shown below,




Since all the stuccoing is done, it is time to tally up the cost and time spent.

The total number of hours I worked to stucco 2500 square feet of walls is 106. Since I have a full time job and only did the work on weekends the time spanned 4 months.

Hours   task
32.5      pressure wash
8.5        stucco practice
22         stuccoing
32.5      covering windows / eaves
10.5      bonding agent

It is interesting to note the time it takes to prepare the house for stuccoing is almost three times as long as it takes to stucco the house.

The total cost of the stucco project was $1162 which is detailed below

Dollars  Materials
386.63   stucco
15.22    plywood
86.18    tape
98.55    bonding agent
30.38    rollers
53.98    6 mil plastic
74.04   4 mil plastic
11.32   buckets
60        face shields
18.96   elasto patch
187.38 drop clothes
12        pin boots
128     scaffold

When I originally had the garage stuccoed, I also got an estimate to stucco the whole house.  The bids came in around 11 thousand dollars.  That means I saved a whooping $9800 or 89 %!

Cue the cash register sound!

Now its time to finish off the painting of the trim and then to move on to the paver driveway.

Happy Building,

The DR

No comments:

Post a Comment